Electronic Counter Measures
Electronic Counter Meaures (usually referred to as ECMs) are modules used in Electronic Warfare to deny target lock to an enemy ship.
This module comes in a variety of types. Basically it breaks an enemy ship's target lock, and keeps it that way for the duration of the module's cycle time (20 seconds). Without target lock, the affected ship can't do anything that requires target lock. This covers a wide variety of things, such as shooting most weapons, warp jamming someone, or even using ECM.
ECM Jamming is chanced based, and the chance is based on the Jamming strength of your ECM module divided by the appropriate sensor strength of the target (Radar, Ladar, etc.). The result can be converted to a percentage which can be used to determine the chance of success. This chance based factor is usually dealt with by ensuring there are enough ECM modules allocated to the target to ensure a nearly 100% jam rate.
ECM Jammers have Optimal and Falloff ranges. If you use it from the Falloff range or beyond, the chance of success is diminished.
There are 4 types of ship sensors, one for each race. There are 5 types of ECMs: one for each sensor type, and one multispectral ECM that is equally effective against all types of ship sensors. Racial has much a higher specific type of Jamming Strength, such as Ladar or Gravimetric, while Multispectral has an equal amount to all 4 types, but less power than a correctly matched Racial type.
The Racial ECM is more ideal when you know what race of ships you'll be fighting against. . . you'll have a much higher success rate. Then again, Multi-spectral is better if you don't know, or are going up against multiple ship types. Racial ECM Jammers do work on ships aside from the race designated by the ECM module. . . but only to a greatly reduced effect (better than nothing, perhaps).
Chance of Successful Jamming
ECM jamming is chance based. Every activation cycle (they average about 20 seconds) there is a % chance of the enemy ship being jammed. This will cause the ship to lose all target locks. The chance is calculated as . . .
- Jammer strength ÷ Sensor strength = Chance of successful jamming
Example: ECM jammer strength is 2, target ship's sensor strength is 10. When the ECM (re)activates, it has a 20% chance for jamming the target ship for the cycle duration.
Note that if a jamming ship has more then one ECM jammer their strengths are not added, so it's a good tactic to activate them at different times to maximize the chance of enemy ship being continually jammed. For example, if you have 2 jammers with 20-second activation times, activate the second one 10 seconds after the first one.
Types of ECM Jammers
There are 6 categories of Electronic Counter Measures. 5 are ECMs, the 6th is an ECM amplifier. Each category of jammer is optimized for a specific race's sensors.
|Type||Gravimetric strength||Ladar strength||Magnetometric strength||Radar strength||Race|
- The above values are for the basic Tech I items.
Racial Jammers reach much further, have a reduced capacitor cost, and are stronger when applied to the correct target.
|Power Grid||Cycle Time|
|1 MW||20 sec|
|Name||Meta Level||Optimal Range||Accuracy Falloff||Gravimetric Strength||Other Strength||Activation Energy||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||ECM - Spatial Destabilizer I||n/a||26 km||29 km||3||1||48 Energy||40 tf|
|FZ-3 Subversive Spatial Destabilizer ECM||1||28 km||31 km||3.15||1.05||45 Energy||38 tf|
|FZ-3a Disruptive Spatial Destabilizer ECM||2||29 km||32 km||3.3||1.1||43 Energy||36 tf|
|CZ-4 Concussive Spatial Destabilizer ECM||3||30 km||34 km||3.45||1.15||40 Energy||34 tf|
|BZ-5 Neutralizing Spatial Destabilizer ECM||4||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||38 Energy||32 tf|
|Tech II||ECM - Spatial Destabilizer II||5||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||57 Energy||48 tf|
|Faction||Legion ECM Spatial Destabilizer||6||32 km||35 km||3.7||1.2||57 Energy||43 tf|
|Name||Meta Level||Optimal Range||Accuracy Falloff||Ladar Strength||Other Strength||Activation Energy||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||ECM - Phase Inverter I||n/a||26 km||29 km||3||1||48 Energy||40 tf|
|Faint Phase Inversion ECM I||1||28 km||31 km||3.15||1.05||45 Energy||38 tf|
|Languid Phase Inversion ECM I||2||29 km||32 km||3.3||1.1||43 Energy||36 tf|
|Halting Phase Inversion ECM I||3||30 km||34 km||3.45||1.15||40 Energy||34 tf|
|Enfeebling Phase Inversion ECM I||4||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||38 Energy||32 tf|
|Tech II||ECM - Phase Inverter II||5||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||57 Energy||48 tf|
|Faction||Legion ECM Phase Inverter||6||32 km||35 km||3.7||1.2||57 Energy||43 tf|
|Name||Meta Level||Optimal Range||Accuracy Falloff||Magnetometric Strength||Other Strength||Activation Energy||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||ECM - Ion Field Projector I||n/a||26 km||29 km||3||1||48 Energy||40 tf|
|Initiated Ion Field ECM I||1||28 km||31 km||3.15||1.05||45 Energy||38 tf|
|Induced Ion Field ECM I||2||29 km||32 km||3.3||1.1||43 Energy||36 tf|
|Compulsive Ion Field ECM I||3||30 km||34 km||3.45||1.15||40 Energy||34 tf|
|'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I||4||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||38 Energy||32 tf|
|Tech II||ECM - Ion Field Projector II||5||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||57 Energy||48 tf|
|Faction||Legion ECM Ion Field Projector||6||32 km||35 km||3.7||1.2||57 Energy||43 tf|
|Name||Meta Level||Optimal Range||Accuracy Falloff||Radar Strength||Other Strength||Activation Energy||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||ECM - White Noise Generator I||n/a||26 km||29 km||3||1||48 Energy||40 tf|
|'Penumbra' I White Noise ECM||1||28 km||31 km||3.15||1.05||45 Energy||38 tf|
|'Gloom' I White Noise ECM||2||29 km||32 km||3.3||1.1||43 Energy||36 tf|
|'Shade' I White Noise ECM||3||30 km||34 km||3.45||1.15||40 Energy||34 tf|
|'Umbra' I White Noise ECM||4||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||38 Energy||32 tf|
|Tech II||ECM - White Noise Generator II||5||32 km||35 km||3.6||1.2||57 Energy||48 tf|
|Faction||Legion ECM White Noise Generator||6||32 km||35 km||3.7||1.2||57 Energy||43 tf|
|Name||Meta Level||Optimal Range||Accuracy Falloff||Multispectral Strength||Activation Energy||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||ECM - Multispectral Jammer I||n/a||17 km||19 km||2||72 Energy||50 tf|
|Initiated Multispectral ECM I||1||18 km||20 km||2.1||68 Energy||48 tf|
|Induced Multispectral ECM I||2||19 km||21 km||2.2||64 Energy||45 tf|
|Compulsive Multispectral ECM I||3||20 km||22 km||2.3||61 Energy||43 tf|
|'Hypnos' Multispectral ECM I||4||21 km||23 km||2.4||57 Energy||40 tf|
|Tech II||ECM - Multispectral Jammer II||5||21 km||23 km||2.4||79 Energy||55 tf|
|Faction||Legion ECM Multispectral Jammer||6||21 km||23 km||2.5||79 Energy||50 tf|
|Dread Guristas ECM Multispectral Jammer||9||23 km||25 km||2.5||79 Energy||55 tf|
|Officer||Kaikka's Modified ECM Multispectral Jammer||11||25 km||28 km||2.6||93 Energy||65 tf|
|Thon's Modified ECM Multispectral Jammer||12||28 km||31 km||2.8||100 Energy||70 tf|
|Vepas' Modified ECM Multispectral Jammer||13||32 km||35 km||3.0||108 Energy||75 tf|
|Estamel's Modified ECM Multispectral Jammer||14||34 km||38 km||3.2||115 Energy||80 tf|
Signal Distortion Amplifier
A low slot module that enhances the chance of ECM working.
|Name||Meta Level||Scan Strength Bonus||CPU Usage|
|Tech I||Signal Distortion Amplifier I||n/a||16%||30 tf|
|Initiated Signal Distortion Amplifier I||1||17%||26 tf|
|Induced Signal Distortion Amplifier I||2||18%||27 tf|
|Compulsive Signal Distortion Amplifier I||3||19%||28 tf|
|'Hypnos' Signal Distortion Amplifier I||4||20%||29 tf|
|Tech II||Signal Distortion Amplifier II||5||20%||30 tf|
- Griffin - 15% bonus to strength and 10% bonus to capacitor need to ECM Target Jammer
- Kitsune - 20% bonus to strength and 10% bonus to capacitor need to ECM Target Jammer
- Blackbird - 15% bonus to strength and 10% bonus to optimal range to ECM Target Jammer
- Rook - 30% bonus to strength and 10% reduction in capacitor use to ECM Target Jammer
- Falcon - 30% bonus to strength and 10% reduction in capacitor use to ECM Target Jammer
- Scorpion - 15% bonus to strength and 20% bonus to optimal range to ECM Target Jammer
Skills, Implants and Rigs
- Electronic Warfare - 5% less capacitor need to ECM Target Jammer
- Frequency Modulation - 10% bonus to falloff to ECM Target Jammer
- Long Distance Jamming - 10% bonus to optimal range to ECM Target Jammer
- Signal Dispersion - 5% bonus to strength to ECM Target Jammer
- The slot 1 through 6 Low-Grade Centurion series of implants can add up to 25% more optimal range when all 6 implants are assembled.
- The slot 9 Zainou 'Gypsy' KOB- series of implants will reduce the capacitor cost by 1, 3, or 5% depending on the variant used.
- The Signal Disruption Amplifier Rig will reduce the capacitor cost of ECM modules.
- The Particle Dispersion Augmentor Rig will improve ECM chance.
- The Particle Dispersion Projector Rig will improve ECM range.
- Overheating the ECM will increase the jamming strength by 20%.
- ECM used to work on a points system. The sensor strength of the ship was a number that was compared directly to the jamming strength of all ECM modules leveled at the ship. If the number for the racial type of the ship was exceeded, the ship simply could not target.
- ECM also used to have unlimited range, making it very easy to completely shut down a vessel from far away.
- Remote Sensor Dampeners were once an effective combination with ECM, permitting the ECM many extra chances to land a jam cycle by increasing the lock-on time for the ship. Their effectiveness was greatly reduced in the Trinity expansion, making it generally more worthwhile to just use an additional ECM ship instead of a RSD one in conjunction with it.
- The Apocrypha expansion altered the Falcon and Rook, as well as the Signal Distortion Amplifier module, to lose the optimal range bonuses but increase their ECM strength bonuses. This was done mostly to curb Falcons from using their covert cloaks to run extremely safe ECM operations from a great distance, as well as to reduce the overall effectiveness of long range jamming.